Sunday, July 9, 2006

Hello world

Hello world... this is my first ever blog. So, who am I?

I came to Sun through the acquisition of SeeBeyond. There are quite a lot of differences between SeeBeyond and Sun. SeeBeyond was a bit of a secretive company. Contact with the "outside world" was not exactly stimulated, rather frowned upon. Sun on the other hand is all for openness and communication with the world outside of Sun. Hence this blog.

What can I tell about my time before Sun and SeeBeyond? Well, to begin at the beginning: a defining moment in my life was when I took a programming class in high school. As soon as I could, I bought a Commodore 64 on which I toiled countless hours away coding tools in the immensely primitive BASIC of that machine. Ever since, my one great interest has been developing software.

For the past ten-or-so years, I have been involved in development of commercial software products. Early on in my career I was in software for the chemical process industry (my background is really chemical engineering); soon I discovered that I should not limit myself to chemical engineering and I moved into enterprise software. First into B2B software, then into integration software.

In a previous life I spent five years working at the Eindhoven University of Technology in the department of Chemical Engineering. Much of it was in compuational modelling and laboratory automation; I had a tiny softare company on the side for the evening hours. After I earned my PhD I left for the USA.

What will I do with this blog? No personal musings... but I hope to write plenty of technical ones.

No comments: